Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Another Story Opener

Remember this:? http://magx01.blogspot.com/2010/12/short-story-starter.html

Well, I have a second short story starter for anyone who may be looking for ideas to springboard into a story. This is the beginning to a story I wrote recently, and it was brought on by a single line: "If it was my world...." I give to you not just that line, but the beginning of the tale, in the hopes that I can help someone get out of a slump/writer's block. Good luck to anyone that uses this, and if you do, post the results in the comment section if you wish!

The intro:

     If it was my world, I would not be lying here right now, bleeding to death, my last bit of connection with summer weather being the hot street pressed up against my face. If it was my world, Jimmy wouldn't have been sick. If it was my world, the stupid Depression wouldn't have happened. If it was my world, so many families in this town would not be in the same boat we were. Okay, if you want to be technical about it, none of them are in the same boat, exactly, since I am the only one, as far as I know, bleeding to death on the hot summer street while people crowd around me and do, well, basically a whole lot of nothing.


     If it was my world, none of us would be in this damn mess, and you know what? If it was my world, even if Jimmy had been sick, and the stupid Depression had happened, we still wouldn't be in this damn mess, because in my world, the damn pharmacy would say “sure, no problem, here's the medication he needs, and nah, don't worry about it! You just make sure he gets this and gets better, okay?”

     Reality is what is is though, and what it is is a bitch. I don't own the world. Jimmy is sick. The Depression did happen. And I am dying. And you know what? It sucks. For now though, rather than dwell on that, I'd rather get my tale out in the open, so maybe somewhere down the line, somebody could possibly, just maybe learn a little from it. Am I being too hopeful? Maybe, but I've got nothing else to do while I lie here and die, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell magx01 and the rest of The Thoughtful Gamers what's on your mind!