Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Purpose of Life

I read a post over at What Worries Jeff Dee? dealing with life, and the purpose of it.

What is the purpose of life? Is there purpose in it? If so, is it subjectively or objectively determined?

Well, if The Merovingian is correct, purpose is merely a label ascribed to the relationship between cause and effect, which means that the "purpose" of which people speak is merely a deterministic outcome linearly based on caual factors.

Or, he and I, as well as the overly pretentious Architect, are full of shit :P

In all seriousness (sorry, just re-watched the Matrix Trilogy), I'm of the opinion that there is no purpose inherent in life.

From an evlutionary persspective, our main drive is to procreate, and, psychologically, we have a heirarchy of needs (Maslow, was it?)....but purpose?

Not the way I see it. There is no purpose. It just is, and it is up to us to define one for ourselves, if we choose to do so. Does this depress me?

No, but suppose I can understand why religion is so attractive ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell magx01 and the rest of The Thoughtful Gamers what's on your mind!