Friday, January 22, 2010

You Can Rent Games, You Know

Games are pretty expensive, according to most gamers. If not outright expensive, well.....I certainly have not heard many gamers call them cheap. The average price of a new console game is $69.99 here in Canada. For me, it seems logical then, to try a game before you buy it, or at least be very very sure going in you are going to be playing it a lot and want it sitiing on your shelf for use at any time.

So what's a gamer to do?

RENT.

I cannot count how many time I have gone on forums and read posts like Hey, how much can I get if I trade in X or Y, when X or Y JUST CAME OUT WEEKS, even DAYS AGO!!!

I mean, what a colossal wste of




Why buy a game for 50-70 dollars and then trade it in for 30-40 dollars a couple of weeks later, when you can rent it for 8-12 dollars? You're spending 20-30 dollars on what essentially is a rental.
And the number of people that do this for two or three games and then get a new one, saying I traded in X and Y and got Z for FREE! is astounding. IT'S NOT FREE. IT COST YOU TWO GAMES!

If you spend $120 and get back $80 in trades, you just lost 40 dollars. If you had rented the 2 games, you would have spent half that, and had lots of money left over.

Back in the 80's and 90's we rented all the time. I still do, and I don't understand what happened to the concept. This trade in thing is really stupid, unless you are trading in something really old, although you're still better off selling it online, you'll get more money and you won't be locked in to store credit from a specific store.

So next time you're lining up to spend $69 on th enext big thing and you'll probably be trading it back in within a week, stop, get back outside, and head to the nearest rental place. You'll thank me later. Your wallet will thank me later.

BTW, lot of rental places do monthly plans. You spend between 10-30 dollars a month (depending on the place and plan) and rent all the games you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell magx01 and the rest of The Thoughtful Gamers what's on your mind!